Read the Printed Word!

Friday 18 July 2014

Food For Thought (1)

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room. 
- Unknown 

I've decided to do a series of posts independent of books, based upon quotes or articles and the like that catch my interest.
 
Quite simply: a discussion of anything that makes me think. 
 
I came across this quote on Tumblr and wanted to write about it because it struck me, most especially as I'm at a time in my life where I'm having to make large decisions about my future - although, it could be argued that we're all permanently at such a crossroad.  
 
Interposition #1: before this gets too philosophical and 'deep', I shall move swiftly on...

I think in our perceived societal expectations, we are expected to settle when and where we are the best in our area at our respective fields; or to put it in fewer words - where we are comfortable. This, I believe however, is not a developmental gain in human nature. To be frank, I think it quite an indolent attitude to inhabit. 

Side note #1: this is more a challenge to myself than me preaching to anyone. I need to lecture this to myself!

Where's the joy, the stimulation, in remaining stagnant? But it's comfortable and it's what we know and there's no risk of falling and -
 
Another quote (by e.h.):
''But what if I fall?' Oh, but darling, what if you fly?'

Why, in a world where technologically things are constantly upgrading and developing, does it remain the norm to idealise a place where we feel we are above others, be it intellectually or athletically or any other form? 

I'm very into sports being an athlete myself, so will use an athletic image to allude to what I'm trying to get across: Are you the best in your school for the 100m? Enter a county competition. The best there? Why not try regional level? Again? National. The best in your nation? International. What then? Strive to better yourself and others. This may not seem so challenging, but when you're comfortably the best in the county - say you're unbeaten all season - and then the opportunity arises to enter the national championships, but you're not ranked highly nationally, and have a small chance of progressing through the heats, it's a very attractive option to dismiss the championships and stick to your county. I've been in a similar position, but I've also been in the position where I entered the national championships, and although I may not have achieved anything spectacular, the experience itself of being surrounded by greater athletes was so inspiring that I worked even harder the following winter and grew not only as an athlete, but as a person.
 
Interposition #2: soppy, philosophical and metaphorical story over. Cue sigh of relief.
 
~ sigh of relief ~

I think the same goes academically. The option to apply to a University or course where I won't be as pushed or challenged as in others, and perhaps have the chance to be an 'oo she's smart' person (I am in no way egotistically suggesting my intellect to be Einstein-like, but the label lends itself well to the point - end of tangent.), I'll admit, often looks appealing. Especially so during those months of AS revision and trying desperately to understand projectile motion in Physics! 

But what would be the point? 

We live in a rapidly upgrading material world, so why not try to 'upgrade' ourselves? Without challenges, how does one evolve? 

So, just as I look to challenge myself at University, I hope you too don't settle for anything less than your potential in whatever areas of your life lack stimulative - and importantly, healthy and beneficial - challenge. There's no point in doing something so challenging and unnerving that it damages your well-being and happiness, but taking small opportunities where presented to better yourself, I think the quote is trying to say, helps with personal and perhaps even societal development.
 
Interposition #3: if you can get your hands on a copy of the 2008 National Geographic 'China' special edition - some of the articles in there demonstrate the idea of 'upgrading oneself' as well as the detrimental side to when this becomes too competitive.  

I think such a statement could extend to society as a whole too (as in keeping with Interposition #3); if say someone or some nation develops a cure for ______ or invents a sustainable solution to a Malthusian food crisis or devises a way to improve the quality of life in areas where population density is abnormally high or (...you get the point) then they shouldn't sit smugly with it in the place of their origin, but rather share it will others so that it can both be improved/developed further and implemented elsewhere to help on a wider scale. Any development should not, however, be forced upon another party - this is where humility comes into the statement; by surrounding yourself with other people of intellect (or whatever is applicable to the example) not only are we challenged and encouraged to grow, but we retain a humble attitude. 

It's all too easy in this day and age of 'selfies' to become self-concerned. 

So basically: an attitude of humility and an embrace of challenge and development.

Side note #2: I think I go off on too many tangents.

Until next time, 

2 comments:

  1. I keep coming back to this post time and time again. It's one of my favourite posts out of all of yours. What an inspiring and thought-provoking post! Thank You! (By the way, your side notes are enjoyable to read. Me like.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Saru - so glad that you like it!

    ReplyDelete